K1 Cohousing Project
Instinctively Green were instrumental in the set-up, creation and formalisation of Cambridge’s first ever self-commissioned Cohousing scheme known as the k1 project (Orchard Park, north Cambridge)
Our work started in partnership with Cambridge Architectural Services in September 2011 when we appointed to “test” the concept of bringing together a group of people who would create, design and ultimately become a Cohousing community.
Through various commissions and funding sources which included Cambridge City Council, Homes and Community Agency, Cambridge Cohousing Ltd and development partner Town, our role has been to act as lead facilitator from inception to start of construction.
Our key services included: –
- Marketing the Cohousing concept
- Recruiting the initial members and creating a Foundation group
- Providing project management advice to the members and professional team
- Through interactive workshops, creating with the early adopters the vision and Client Brief
- Working with Jim Ross, Architect, turning the client brief into an outline planning scheme
- Working with and advising Cambridge City Council on land and legal issues
- Advice to City Council on the development partner selection process
- Advice on the formal set up Cambridge Cohousing Ltd
- Development advice to Cambridge Cohousing Ltd and the professional team
- Advice throughout to members on design, governance and legal issues
The k1 project started construction in May 2017 with local builders Coulson. The project which uses a highly sustainable timber frame system from partners Trisvelhus will produce homes of high quality design (Mole Architects) and which will be very energy efficient lowering fuel bills and reducing the scheme and its Cohousing residents impact on the environment.